Next Saturday I’ll go up on stage of the WordCamp Lisboa 2011, an event by the Portuguese WordPress community, to give a talk about “The art of life on blog”. I’ll be sharing my very personal experience with blogging platforms and the role that blogs play in my life.
Why am I speaking there? Well, the straightforward reply would be something like “because I got invited and said yes”. But my reasons go beyond that and include:
1. it will be a chance to catch up with some very smart & cool people and (hopefully) meet some more smart & cool people 🙂
2. I’ll be stepping out of my comfort zone. Let me explain: looking at the lineup of speakers and their topics it really scares me. I have no coding/computing skills (trial and error doesn’t count, right? 😉 and I fear that my talk will be the alien one on the program (I’m hoping that they reeeeaaaally like alien stuff 🙂 ). But truth is that serendipity and new ideas happen at the edge of one’s areas of expertise so I like to attend events that have little to do with what I do or know. So I’m expecting to learn some new things there!
3. I’ve come to realize that, without knowing, I’m already in one way or the other a member of the Portuguese WordPress community (hmm… where do I get a cool t-shirt to go with the membership? 🙂 )
4. I love the adrenaline rush of being on stage! (though I always get really nervous before starting)
5. I get to say that I was a speaker at a WordPress event. How cool is that? 😀
And that’s it. The deck is done but the storytelling that goes with it still has to be fine-tuned (O_o, I’m late!).
I’ll blog about it afterwards. In the meantime, see you there?